You may need custom recovery if you want to do nandroid backups of flash some zip files. I will use Linux to flash it.
Warning: It was working for me. I’m not responsible if you break your device. You are doing this steps at your own risk. The installation of a modified firmware might invalidate the manufacturer’s warranty!
Get Heimdall Suite
Heimdall Suite is an alternative to Odin for flashing in the download mode.
- Gentoo: add flow to the overlays and emerge heimdall
layman -a flow emerge --autounmask-write heimdall etc-update emerge heimdall
- For other distributions take a look at offical page of Heimdall Suite
codeworkx’s Kernel with the ClockworkMod Recovery
- I’ve used this kernel with Android 2.3.3, for other Android versions you may use kernels from this thread
- Download codeworkx’s Kernel with the ClockworkMod Recovery 126.96.36.199 and unpack it
Boot your phone to download mode
- Switch it off
- Connect via USB to PC
- Press and hold Home+Volume Down+Power until you see the “Warning” message
- Confirm it with Volume Up
Flash the kernel(to avoid various access problems please do it as root)
heimdall flash --kernel zImage
- Change to recovery mode
- Switch your phone off
- Press and hold Home+Volume Up+Power until you see recovery screen