Why root? I want to use some advanced features like DroidWall(frontend for iptables), Titanium Backup, OpenVPN, so I need root. With root you can also remove some annoying apps installed by vendor.
I was using Linux for it, but it should work at the same way with Windows.
Warning: It was working for me. I’m not responsible if you break your device. You are doing this steps at your own risk. The installation of a modified firmware invalidates the manufacturer’s warranty! You have been warned!
- Boot to Hboot (hold Volume Down and press Power), check for Hboot version. AlphaRev X is working only with HBoot.0.98.0000.
Flash HBoot and S-OFF
- Start you mobile and check the settings for USB debugging(Settings-Applications-Development-USB Debugging)
- Fast boot setting should be off(Settings-Power-Fast boot)
- Download AplhaRev X and start it
- After you select download you should get a popup, if not check your Noscript settings.
- Connect you mobile via USB
- Now you should get the serial from the application, type this serial on the alpharev website and you get the beta key
- Say no for installation of recovery
- Your Desire S is now S-OFF
- Download Clockworkmod Recovery v188.8.131.52
- Rename it to PG88IMG.zip and place on the sdcard
- Boot to the Hboot(Volume Down+Power)
- Confirm the recovery update
- Reboot and remove PG88IMG.zip from sdcard
Installing Superuser und su binary
- Download su package(not just the binary! filename should be like %%su-x.y.z-efgh-signed.zip%%) and save it on the sdcard
- Reboot to the recovery(boot in hboot and select recovery)
- Choose “install zip from sdcard”-“choose zip from sdcard”-“su-x.y.z-efgh-signed.zip”
- Install Superuser from Market